Skip to main content

K-Ci & Jo-Jo Come Clean.... : REVIEW

When I heard that K-Ci and Jo-Jo were coming out with a reality show documenting their experience going through rehab, I was excited. The first thing I wanted to know was which one was K-Ci and which one was Jo-Jo (yes, it has been that long since I have seen let alone heard of them since highschool). I always loved Jodeci and when the two lead singers of the group branched off and made a few ballads I looked forward to hearing more, but more never came.
Years passed by and I continued to play their hits and came to terms with the fact that this group was never going to reunite and the two brothers whose vocals lead the group to super stardom with were coked up and out for the count.
Enter K-Ci and Jo-Jo: Coming Clean. I figured they were going to finally boot the snow blizzard that packed their nostrils. WRONG. They are kicking the alcohol habit. They claim that there was never a drug problem. We all have heard otherwise, but they insist. If moscato can turn me into what these two men have become, I will never enter a liquor store again.
First episode: we watch two hours of the rise and fall of the Hailey brothers. We get to see a clip that very well may have made a few rounds on youtube of one of them falling flat on his back while performing on stage. We also get to see them throw a fit because their body guard leaves them. I am hoping that this was all staged as I couldn't imagine why the two were devastated to be left without a body guard. Would any one even know who they were? I don't think there would be a mob of people trying to get a trim of their clothing or an autograph. This baffled me.
I came to find out that their "bodyguard" is just another fat guy who provides moral support, co-signs and deters potential "altercations" (the latter never happening). I have decided this bodyguard is merely and fixture to make the guys feel relevent in the celebrity realm. The day you don't have a body guard, you are no longer important.
Second Episode: The brothers go through a strenuous work out with the chick who played Tyreses mom in baby boy. After having K-Ci perform a specific exercise, she requests he sing while doing it. He decides to sing a cracked out broke down version of "Freakin' You" that he mentioned was an effort to woo his trainer (womp womp). Jo-Jo's wife comes to visit and she is so in love with him its clear to see she has yet to realize the transformation that has taken place in her husband over the years. Jo-Jo is visably thinner, his forehead is tatooed with a black scar across it, and all of the vaseline in the world will never heal the black chap that has invaded his lips. I will cease talking about the teeth and gums behind them. Jo-Jo admits that his wife is his best friend and he was glad to see her. He should be. I am amazed she was glad to see him. If we were going by looks alone, Jo-Jo circa 1995 and Jo-Jo present day are two totally different people. Any woman who wants to see him at all is a blessing. K-Ci talks about his crush on his trainer. I have a feeling that his rendition of "Freakin' You" did not win her over. Did I mention that his exaggerated Eddie Munsteresque widows peak still makes my eyes buldge during the first five minutes of each episode without failing? Don't get me started on his childish temper tantrums that include him putting on sunglasses and folding his arms defiantly. Its like toddler-meets-90's R.Kelly. I should also mention that his lips although a more fair shade of black, are equally as chapped as his younger brothers and this now is the only resemblence they bear of one another. Its amazing how cocaine and alcohol can make people from all parts of the world look related.
Third Episode: The episodes are all morphing together. I am growing tired of watching K-Ci's hissy fits and Jo-Jo's defiance. The guys are reunited with their numerous children and baby momma's. K-Ci hasn't seen his nineteen year old son since he was a toddler and feels that management shouldn't tell him when to see his kid. I suppose he wanted to wait another few decades to accomplish this feat on his own terms. Despite their absence in their kids lives, their children are supportive of their fathers efforts of rehabilitation and so are the numerous 'baby momma's'. I should also mention the Hailey brothers meeting with a major record label executive and being angry at being turned down for a project. Apparently, the executive was partying alongside them boozing it up in their hey-days (he also managed to maintain and grow in his career-no rehab reality for him). K-Ci made a rant posing the question asking if he had to kiss someone's @$$ to get a record deal. Judging by his divo attitude, years away from the industry, and substance abuse history, I would answer that with a resounding 'yes' but K-Ci just can't see it my way.
I tried to remain compassionate watching this show, however its near impossible to care about the Hailey brothers recovery. I feet slighted that they weren't honest with their audience about what they are actually being rehabilitated for, I don't find either of them to be likeable people, and I don't see much of an effort put forth on their part in recovering. If anything, watching this reality show has only made me lose more interest in the sibling duo. I honestly think that the both of them are jerks. Had I never been exposed to them outside of video's and concert performances, I would have never known.
To say this show is a disappointment would be dishonest. To say that K-Ci and Jo-Jo threw away their career on coke and liquor and are now irrelevant has-beens is coming clean.

Comments

  1. Um, can you say YUCK! Or maybe YUCKMOUTH! Either way, I think like Teddy P. would say, I think they better let it go................

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your review of this. I'd decided to watch the episodes on my DVR (all 5, at the time) and was completely turned off by their unlikeable, nowhere, brokedown country stylins. Reminded me of how we, back in D.C., used to call snotty North Carolina dudes like them 'bammas'! They really can sing but any charm, resolve or wanting to amend their selfishness is missing. You nailed this. Congrats on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great that they wanna come clean and better themselves...If you can't say anything nice abt people then you should keep ur mouth closed. #justmyopinion

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel that once you decide to display personal events on national television you must accept the praise along with the scrutiny. My blog is a public forum. I don't expect everyone to like what I have to say but because I have put my opinions on a public forum, I ACCEPT that others will have opinions (and express them) on my subject matter. I do agree that coming clean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I do believe that coming clean was a good thing for them, but please don't be naive enough to believe that their efforts werent primarily motivated by health, fame had a lot to do with it. these men have all sorts of PR people attempting to revive a dead career and at the end of the day, its all about business.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's rather harsh. If you look at some of the old K-Ci and JoJo videos there is an astonishing difference in their looks. Part of it is that they are now much older. The other part is addiction. So there is an obvious reason for the deterioration. I think it's really gauche of you to make fun of it. On the other hand, it was very interesting to me that on the show, neither K-Ci or JoJo actually said the words "I am an alcoholic" despite talking about this very thing with the therapist. To me, that would have been the biggest step they could have taken and they didn't. Whether they were on harder stuff than alcohol is not for me to say - I wasn't there - and I dare say you were not either. At any rate, this is a reality show and the word reality does not take away from the fact that it is still entertainment. I wish the Hailey brothers well in their sobriety and singing career. Their talent is tremendous... even still. I hope they make it through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you "dare" me?
    Since when is forming an opinion a crime. Is it difficult to respectfully disagree? I don't agree with you. Everything I have said is how I feel and as of late, my feelings haven't changed. I do hope they maintain their sobriety. I do agree that it was strange that they never openly said they were alcoholics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, what I said was... "I dare say you were not either". Don't get it twisted and if you are going to quote someone try to do it correctly. No crime to state an opinion - which is what I did, too. I did not post mine to change yours. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "don't get it twisted?" Wow.
    I never thought you were attempting to change my view. I just respectfully disagreed. Your comments come off as hostile. Perhaps its just your writing style the absence voice inflection leaves much to be misunderstood. I have no problem with your opinions. I have no problem with my own. The New Year is indeed a happy one as I refuse to allow things I am not passionate about to consume me. With that being said, I wish you the same.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,