Skip to main content

And I Am Telling You... Breaking Up Is Hard To Do!

Dreamgirls was a successful Broadway play for years. It even made it's way to the big screen in 2006. Original headliners of the staged version included then little known Loretta Divine and now long forgotten Jennifer Holliday. Watching the performance of the then robust and popular Holliday allowed me to witness her successful portrayal of the scorned character Effie White. In a passionate performance she screamed, sobbed and belted the lyrics of "And I Am Telling You, I'm Not Going" in such a way that years later many have made a valiant effort to match her vocal bravado in singing the same song. Of those attempts, most have fallen far from the mark.
With this knowledge, I wondered why was it that Jennifer Hollidays career didn't move much further beyond her Dreamgirls fame. Upon doing a bit of google research ( not the most reliable, but definitely the most convenient) I have found several theories as to why Jennifer Holiday's career came to a standstill. One belief is that Jennifer's dramatic weight loss caused fans to lose interest because they were no longer able to identify with her since becoming a thin woman. There also had been talk of Holiday being somewhat of a "diva" and becoming quite full of herself after the success of her performance. It's been said that she demanded preferential treatment and required a drastic increase in her salary for each performance. After the show had run it's course she embarked on a singing career but never quite found her niche. Her rich voice seemed to overwhelm the soft ballads written for her and more upbeat tempo's seemed overworked with her trademark riffs and dramatic style. Still, with the memory of her days on the stage firmly imprinted in her mind Jennifer continued to make hefty demands. Perhaps she believed that her reputation should have preceded her and expected others to feel the same. Perhaps, others did not feel the same at all. One can speculate as to the reason behind Jennifer Holliday's career never made it past moderate success however the fact remains that it did indeed fall to the wayside.
Recently, during a mediated session I told my husband of four years and love of nine that I wanted a divorce. Seeing the anger in his face and sensing the pain in his heart hurt me deeply. During the meeting he refused to accept my decision and insisted that our union was made under the promise that it never be broken ( a promise that I acknowledge making).
So after an emotionally taxing session with our marriage therapist, I am left with nothing but conflicting thoughts on my marriage and it's pending conclusion. I constantly wonder if I am unreasonable in my reasoning. I try to be matter of fact about something that's too sensitive and far too emotional to handle with logic alone. Any relationship is as emotional as it is cerebral so when contemplating it's end should we not factor the two in our decision? This is never easy to do. So often the heart conflicts with the mind as the body often does with the spirit. What once was a happy, successful and enjoyable relationship can somehow wither away into oblivion. There are plenty of reasons why people break up. One person may believe that they were wronged and have mentally logged each offense until their resentment could no longer be contained or remedied and therefore ended their union. Another may just seem to feel as if they fell out of love for one reason or another. Most times while one person seems to have plenty of reasons to end a partnership, the other is left speculating the cause of it's demise. Seldom do both parties know exactly why the relationship has failed and it's a near miracle if they both agree upon the same reason as to why it did. At the end of the day both parties have no choice but to accept that it did in fact fail which brings me back to Jennifer Holliday. Ironically, she demonstrated her star potential by taking on the role of a rising diva scorned by her lover and friends. Despite her undeniable talent as a lead singer, Effie's career as a Dreamgirl ended on a sour note. Jennifer Holliday who embodied the essence of Effie White and touched thousands in the process shared a similar fate of the character she once portrayed.
As I reflect on my marriage, I believe that both my husband and I put forth genuine emotion, passion and effort in our roles as husband and wife. Much like Effie white, we had high expectations and a false sense of security that led us to believe there was no place to go but to the top. When the realization of our failure as spouses hit us, we were far too devastated to pin point why we failed. We instead kept trying to make it work. Like Jennifer Holliday, for some reason our success just couldn't ride on potential. Potential at some point must be realized and if it isn't, even the brightest star... fades away.
Listening to the words belted out so passionately by Jennifer Holliday as she played Effie White, often stirs a great deal of emotion within me. After begging and pleading, she finally concludes her argument with a promise: "You're gonna love me".
It's true, we did-- and we still do. But it doesn't change the outcome for the great Jennifer Holliday, scorned Effie White, or my marriage.
I still love my husband, and I have no desire to discontinue that love however, much like the case of Effie and Jennifer... love isn't always enough.

-Dedicated to the man who held fast to my heart for nine years and counting...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,