Skip to main content

Pebbles *short story*

She wasn't all that good looking. She was average at best. She didn't put her rouge on like Ella kept telling her too. She didn't see the sense in it, "ain't no colored woman in the world turn red in the face like that, and they lips ain't that pink neither!". That was the way she seen it. There wasn't any point trying to make yourself look like some white woman when you have a face the color of rich soil.
She let out a soft chuckle as she tore the husk off each ear of corn. That Ella was one pig sty short of a mess. But she was a good friend, a friend for all times kind of friend. Her smile weakened as her mouth fixed itself back into its familiar pout.
Her legs were agape, and her long house dress hung low like a stage curtain.
It had been almost a year since he had left. She finally realized he wasn't coming home anytime soon. She felt a tear well up in her eyes and her throat became tight. She clenched her jaw tight and focused harder on her task.
In the distance, she could see a figure coming up the way toward her gate. Staggering from one side of the dirt road to the next, the person had a lazy stride that she recognized. She still kept at that corn, all the while never removing her gaze from the approaching stranger.
Several emotions coursed through her in a moments time.
He opened the gate.
eight months, seventeen days.
She could taste the salt over her upper lip. She kept at that corn.
"I take it I came on time since you fittin' to cook."
He hardly glanced her way. He continued up the porch steps and walked into the house as if he had never left.
Eight months and seventeen days.
The arch of her foot began to itch and she rubbed it on the conrete step. A small pebble fell from it.It was almost as if it were clinging to the mixture of rock and sand and by her rubbing her foot on it, it just gave way and came loose from the foundation.
She dropped the corn down in her bag and stared at the pebble.
That night she lay in her bed awake while he snored, deep in a peaceful slumber. Restless, she got out of bed and made her way to her chest of drawers. She opened the top drawer and lifted out the little velvet bag. She then opened it and began emptying all of its contents in the steel trash bin.
The loud clanging woke him up and he sat up with his face screwed in utter annoyance.
"what you doing woman?"
"I'm throwing out my rouge, that's what."
"As much as that cost, you gonna go and toss that out in the trash? Ain't that supposed to get you all dolled up? That's supposed to make you look like them gals at the city and you throwin' it all away." He shook his head and lay back down.
She thought once more about that pebble that freed from the cement earlier. She returned to bed. As she lay down she turned to the heaping mound of a man that was next to her and said softly
" You can rub up on me all you want, but there gonna come a time when I may have to come a-loose, and I dont need no rouge for that."

Comments

  1. Amazing and I love the setting of time and I can smell the sweat of her working in the field. Your the greatest - keep it pushing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Brain waves is cooking!!
    I thought I was watching a movie..
    so you did a very good job.
    Very good!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,