Skip to main content

Discovering Your Purpose: What Are You Meant to Do ?

I have held many jobs. Some of them were entrepreneurial in nature and other's were corporate oriented. I've strongly disliked most of them. Why? I was doing what paid me, rather than what was passionate to me. I would work office jobs and enjoy the "benefits". 
Now, I realize that the interpretation of benefits is relative. Are benefits health insurance, year-end bonuses, and an abundance of leave allowance? Are benefits working from home, making your own hours, and receiving a handsome pay? Are benefits a relaxed work environment that allows for casual clothing and imbibing in the afternoon? 

It wasn't until I began to define what qualified as a benefit within my work life that I began to steer further and further away from the role of employee and closer to the role of entrepreneur. I wanted to work for myself. I wanted to prove that the skills I'd utilized for the "benefit" of my employer could benefit myself. I quickly learned that it takes a special kind to run a business that actually works and thrives. 

After several crash and burn endeavors, I gained a new respect for the business owner. I also gained a new sense of pride in being an employee. I learned the hardships that came with both sides of the game. This lesson took me approximately twelve years to learn. It wasn't because I'm slow, but because I'm determined. My ambition caused me to create a cycle of jumping from one business venture to the next all for the sake of achieving my dream of working for myself. I was so fixated on making money for myself that I failed to invest concern in what I did to make it. Starting a business that you aren't passionate about is no different than taking a job just for the check. In both scenarios, you typically end up unhappy. 

I'm sure you're wondering what changed. How did I reach the point where I discovered what I was passionate about and actually set out to pursue that passion? 

The answer in short, is my mind. I had to change the way I thought about things. One day my sister asked me what I would want to do if I an have any job I wanted. I told her I didn't want any job, I wanted my own business. Speaking my truth forced me to address what business I wanted to own. So often we run into people who are hopping from one venture to the next and attempting to sell us on each and every one. I have to admit that I was that person. When I was a distributor for a skin care and cosmetic line, I was asking friends to host parties and shop my catalog. Eventually, I did run a semi- successful business doing something I was good at and enjoyed however in time it turned into another stressful job. I was assuming the role of entrepreneur but modeled my business like an employee. I burned out fast and the profits weren't significant enough to keep me afloat until I can restructure my entire model. Completely defeated, I hung my head as I perused through a job search site and uploaded my resume. 

One day after being completely disrespected by someone I was subordinate to, I went to the bathroom to have a good cry. Before the tear dropped, I stopped myself and remembered who I am. I'm not the crying type. I'm the grab the bull by the horns and take control type. So, I marched into that person's office and informed them that the way they spoke to me was not acceptable nor will it ever be accepted. That experience made me conscious of how many others were going through what I was going through. Not necessarily the desire to become an entrepreneur but the desire to simply, be. 

We all have a need to be. We want to be happy. We want to be at peace. We want to be loved. We want to be secure. We want to unapologetically be ourselves. 

Sometimes, to figure out who you've become it's best to look back and remember who you were before life had it's way with you. Before I became my most broken and made almost every decision based on circumstance rather than desire I wanted to be a Psychologist. Life happened, dream deferred, and then discarded. That's how a woman with a passion for people ends up in the financial industry where people are valued by decimal placements. I needed the money. I forsake my passion, and then I forgot all about it. It took me over a decade to remember. 

That's how I landed here. In fact, I didn't land. I wasn't tossed into the air and dropped. That would almost be too easy. I trekked here. It's been a long journey and while I've arrived, I'm still unpacking. I'm still sorting out which belongings will serve me. I'm tossing my pain and disappointment into the wilderness and setting up a camp with things that will only sustain me. I will not allow myself to be hindered by things that don't serve my purpose and speak to my intentions. 
When I changed my mind, I changed my heart too. The more I began to tend to my heart and listen to it the less I had to rely on my mind. 

Intuition isn't a selective gift bestowed upon some and absent in others. It's innate. Animals tense when they sense danger and humans are equipped with that most primitive instinct as well. We know when something isn't quite right. We just allow our minds to do all of the thinking for us rather than let our hearts to the leading. My mind sent me on a two plus decade long wild goose chase. My path was so out of alignment I kept winding up in odd destinations. It took my heart to guide me back toward my focus, my purpose. 
 
If you are unhappy and you know that you aren't in a place where you belong, congratulations. You are aware of your displacement. The next step? Be still. Think of who you were and what you wanted before life situations began to dictate your choices. How does that feel? If you're removed from it, think of where you want to be. Think about your dreams. Don't dismiss them as silly delights of your imagination. Pursue them. Or perhaps the familiar memories still speak to your heart. Does it still feel like something you want? If so, you know what to do. Make your plan. Work on it's execution. Pack light. Start your journey.


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,