Skip to main content

Empty: A Short Story

"I feel empty." I said this with finality. I wanted him to know that I didn't plan on improving. "I am empty." I offered this immediately. I wanted him to understand that there was no changing my state of well being or lack thereof. This was a confirmation.
He reclined in his cheap office chair. He always crossed his right leg neatly over his left and I always wondered how a man could do such a thing without posing a threat to his genitals. I then allowed my eyes to drift and gaze upon his crotch, pondering the placement of his genitals in the make-shift vice created by his crossed legs. He shifted slightly in his chair, obviously in response to my shameless ogling.
"Why do you say that?" He exhaled. He always seemed bored with our sessions. Perhaps I wasn't insane enough to be exciting.
"Its what I know to be true." This came on purpose. I wanted him to understand that he can't change what I know. He can only influence what I think. Facts never change.
"How did you come to find that out?" Manipulation. He's a clever little bugger. I paused. I didn't know how to respond. I instead decided to ignore this question. He was placating me.
"Do you like being empty?" He asked while chewing on his pen. What a disgusting habit! I hoped his pens were used exclusively by him. Right then I knew I wouldn't be signing anything.
"I've learned to exist peacefully within the emptiness that consumes me." There. Now he will finally get it. There isn't much room for discussion.
"How?"
Great. He wasn't going to let this go.
I know he is the therapist, but he sure is stupid. He asks, I answer, he prods, I become annoyed. I didn't know how much longer I could endure this game he wanted to play. It wasn't fun for me.
"What I like and what is are two entirely different things." Ha! Try to come back from that one. I even felt myself smirk a little as I often did when I knew that things were going to go my way.
"It may not be." He shrugged while scribbling on his pad and glancing upward over his stupid glasses.
Why do people wear glasses on the tip of their nose and spend their time looking over them instead of through them? He is really simple.
"What does that mean?!" I snapped. I hated his stupid crossed legs, his stupid game and the pointless use of those spectacles that were perched on his nose.
"It means that was maybe you can change what is to what you like." He smiled.
I wanted to leap out of my seat and slap him senseless. I felt a wave of heat come over me as if I submersed myself in a warm bath. How dare he tell me I can change reality. No one can. It is what the hell it is and you learn to exist within it! I hate him. Boy, he was stupid before but now I just hate him.
I decided to ignore him.
Instead I would think of making love to my husband. I will think of all of his kisses and caresses and I will escape in the euphoria of our love making. I'll even let out a passionate sigh so Mr. Dickinavice will become uncomfortable. That will teach him. I hope his glasses slip right off of his stupid nose and he becomes distracted and embarrassed as he gathers himself. All of that for foolishly allowing them to hover above his nostrils. I closed my eyes.
"Myra." He said softly.  I wasn't going to answer, I was already far away in the land of Feel Good.
"Myra!" More urgently. I didn't even part my lids a crack. I was done with him. I was thinking of when my baby would wrap his hands around my neck and...
I felt the firm grip on my arm again. The cold steel made its familiar clicking noise around my wrists. I didn't fight. I didn't do anything. I just smiled and kept my eyes closed. I didn't bother to see him clutching the desk as personnel rushed to his aid. I didn't bother to notice the red rings around his neck. I just let them lead me away again. As I floated I felt a hard object against the ball of my foot and heard a brief snap.
It was then I opened my eyes and stared down at the culprit.
Damned glasses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,