Skip to main content

Where's The Towel? I Threw It In. *Dating*

I am darn near 35 years old and I have decided that it is time to throw in the towel when it comes to love. Love is like the lottery. You should play because there is a chance you can win but you shouldn't play too often and you shouldn't have high hopes because the odds are against you.
At 35 I've spent almost a third of my three decades in a terrible relationship that morphed into a terrible marriage. I spent another third of my life dating one dud after another. During that time, I was often too damaged from the last dbag to appreciate the next dbag who may not have been a dbag but I was too damaged to know.
Dating sucks that way. You want to give yourself time to recover the last horrible relationship but another part of you doesn't want to push away a potentially good opportunity when what seems like a nice guy or girl is knocking at your door. So you take a chance (there's that lottery again) but you make the mistake of having your hopes a smidgen too high. If you lower them too much, you ruin every interaction with what is perceived as bitterness and dysfunction. If you raise them a tad too high you are looking toward the future when the person hasn't given you much reason to pencil them in for next week. So how you manage it? How do you walk the line of the cautious optimism?
Each time you purchase a lotto ticket, you can't deny that regardless of the amount of money spent, an investment in hope was indeed made. With dating it's no different. The moment you invest your time to text or meet at Starbucks or go to dinner or message online, you made an investment in hope. You want to see where it goes and you are willing to spend to find out.
Gambling becomes an issue when you find yourself investing more than you can afford because you get a high off of the hope of the payout. Dating? Same thing. Dating starts to suck when we invest more than we can stand to lose (time, energy, love, affection, emotions, etc.) and we keep doing it because we feel as if we are close to hitting it big in the jackpot of love. So we become addicted. We date person after person and keep giving and giving only to reach a point where we have to check our ticket and see if it really paid off. It usually doesn't. I have heard many people say that there is someone for everyone and that may be true as the world is a large place however everyone doesn't decide to be with the someone that is best for them. Whether that is because they are committing relationship sin that is scorned by so many ... the "s word" (settling) or they are simply happy enough and don't care to seek a greater happiness, the person that may be perfect for you is living a mediocre life with someone else. I believe that's often the reason why a mistress has such a strong conviction that someone else's cheating husband is actually her soul mate. Maybe he is. But he isn't leaving his wife and the timing is all wrong. So they steal away together, enjoying their "jackpot" in small increments in the form of one secretive rendezvous after another.
I suppose in a perfect world your soul mate is a person that is available to be with you without drama. Everything is perfect. But then you are back again the lottery mentality. Have you ever played and won some money and while you were happy, there was a part of you that wanted the jackpot instead? Why? Because we want it all. It's not enough to find someone that you can enjoy, you want it to be perfect. You want him to be endowed. You want her to look like that celebrity or ex girlfriend. You want him to make that amount of money. You want never want her to age. You want him to actually like chick flicks and not just watch them with you. You want her to shut up and watch the game, cook you a good dinner, and perform felatio during half time. We want them to be around when we want company and be scarce when we need alone time. You. Want. The. Jackpot.
But we covered the reality. The jackpot only hits for a select few who play the game. So if you aren't playing, you aren't EVER going to win. If you are playing, you have to invest as much as you can stand to lose. So that means that if your emotions are worth $100 and you only want to gamble $1 then don't be surprised when you have a lot less than what you hoped for. Also understand that investing your emotions completely and putting it all on the table  doesn't mean that you are going to win or even break even. Remember, it's all a game of chance. It's the love lottery. Coming to this conclusion has only encouraged me to throw in the towel. I don't want to play anymore. I've grown tired of increasing the stakes in hopes of getting a higher return. I suffered the consequence of investing the bare minimum thinking I would hit big. I've had a few wins and squandered my earnings because it wasn't "the jackpot".
So I'm tossing in the towel. If I added up the amount I have invested versus the number of times I've had a winning, it hasn't been very fruitful or even fun. In fact, I realized that it's just an old habit that needs to die quickly.
You have to pay to play, and well... I'm spent.

Comments

  1. I agree. I think that this is a phenomenon that is more prevalent in the United States and more developed countries as we have an instant gratification mentality and have moved away from the core family values that were a basic part of our culture/society. They are now considered "old school". We want bigger and better and we. want. it. NOW. We don't want to wait and nurture something with someone. If they aren't "it" straight out the gate, then get back on that app and swipe to the left until you visually identify mister or miss right.

    Dating and relationships are hard even if you have the best foundation. Most things in life that have a great return are. I think the error in the analogy of the lottery is the effort placed. Surprisingly, in today's society it is still applicable. Let me explain.

    When you play the lottery, you make no effort. You buy a ticket or tickets, and you wait to see if you won. Period. Yeah, you went to the convenience store and bought the tickets, but there ends teh effort. That is the beauty of winning. You really did NOTHING and got something BIG.

    A relationship is not like that. Oftentimes you are putting out a lot and getting very little in return and then your partner does that and you are not reciprocating. It's those times when you set aside your narcissism (harsh, but true) and demonstrate compassion and empathy towards each other simultaneously that you have that human connection. It's that togetherness that equates to the "jackpot" and keeps us trying.

    You can't expect to win big by doing nothing or putting forth minimal effort. (not speaking to you specifically, I'm speaking in general).

    The lottery has a lure to it because it's a big pay out with little in.

    My two cents. Not even worth one scratch off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL @ your two cents... I think the two cents was well worth my time. I agree with many of your points. I disagree with there being an error in the lottery analogy. Some people place plenty of effort in the lottery or any gambling effort. They invest plenty of cash, emotion, etc. and come up with nothing. It all depends on how invested they are in the hope of succeeding and the same goes for relationships. I agree however that you can't expect to win by putting in minimal effort, but the fact is that some people do, in love and in lotto. The odds are seldom in my favor and so I just don't bother anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,