Skip to main content

Never Get Jealous Again

 There she was, Patty Gregory. Patty was as cute as a button and I wanted to be her friend. This was back a Black person with fair skin was beautiful without taking their heart, mind, or physical features into consideration. She was cute though on the outside and because of that, being lighter skinned made her even cuter. Add the fact that her hair was down her back and she immediately elevated to goddess level. I had to be her friend. I had to be worthy of her friendship. She had to accept me! ...and she did. 

Later into the semester, a new girl came to our class. Her name was Kendra and she and Patty became fast friends. I watched closely, anxious that Kendra was not only going to rain on my parade but do it with my own thunder she was quickly stealing. Though fearful of being demoted from primary friend to secondary friend, my five year old self opted to keep a watchful eye before making a decision on how to secure my place in Patty's life. I grit my teeth as Kendra took my seat next to Patty during circle time, nap time, and injected herself into our games during recess. I mean, this kid created an imaginary friend that just moved into the neighborhood to play with our imaginary friends. This girl had cunning! The breaking point? We were playing house and she decided she was going to be baby.

Oh. no. she. didn't. 

I was the baby. I was Patty's pretend baby and there was no way Kendra was taking that from me. She could have the seat at lunch, she can conveniently conjure imaginary friends, but she will not my role as baby when we play house. I had it. I stormed up to Kendra and gave my best neck and eye roll and told her every mean little thing a five year old can come up with when in the midst of emotional turmoil. Her reaction? She cried. Mine? I felt victorious to be honest. I assert my position in Patty's life and I knew that Kendra was never going to test the turbulent waters that were my nerves ever again. When she cried, I viewed it as sweet surrender and then when I turned at Patty, and saw a slow smirk forming within her rose hued lips that was it. That was when my victory felt like defeat. Something about Patty's response to my hurting Kendra's feelings made me feel less like a winner and more like a loser. 

I couldn't sort it out then but reflection on that situation now I realized plenty of things about my younger self. First? I lacked confidence in myself. Seeing someone who appeared to embody all I wasn't and wanted to be at the time  made me envious. When you envy something, you wish to covet it for yourself. I wanted what Patty had. I didn't believe enough in myself to obtain it on my own so I decided to feed off of Patty like a leech. She would sustain me with moments of attention and once I was content enough to let her be she would run off to the next desperate friend in training. I was jealous of Kendra. I didn't want to be her, I just didn't want her to have my friend. I was possessive and insecure. 

In adulthood some of us still play in games of jealousy. We work hard to make our partners jealous in effort to force them to express their declarations of love be it through actions, words, or both. Some of us are seething constantly over our partners who are doing things that they "know" make us jealous. You know, because people aren't responsible for their own feelings. Other people "make" people feel things (yes, that was sarcasm). 

Jealousy in adulthood is still a thing however, it shouldn't be a long lasting thing. We all have our juvenile moments but if you are measuring your partners love for you according to how jealous they become when provoked, that makes you no different from Patty. The reason why Patty smirked is because she was control of the entire situation. She enjoyed watching me prove my dedication to our friendship, even if it were at the expense of my and/or Kendra's feelings. I'm not saying that Patty was a five year old mastermind. I'm saying that it's in our nature to do wicked things. There is no light without darkness and vice versa. Patty likely enjoyed the attention that my silent rivalry with Kendra commanded. To see me angrily scream at Kendra out of pure jealousy was likely a thrilling stroke to Patty's growing ego. This doesn't change in adulthood. 

The ego is a dangerous thing. When we succumb to the will of the ego, drama and confusion are sure to follow. If you are like myself in kindergarten and become jealous, it's typically driven by ego. Watching someone with something you don't want them to have because in your mind they just don't deserve it all comes from your ego. You can't stand to see someone have something you do. You should be enough. If you are constantly attempting to make others jealous in effort to prove their love for you, this behavior is likely driven by your ego as well. It all lends to misunderstand how to measure and interpret love

Want to know a not-so-secret secret? Your ego will never love you like your heart can. The ego is insatiable and only grows into something bigger and uglier the more you feed it. If you want someone to tell you how much they adore you, just ask. 

Be Blessed,

Yomi

Want to see the Nappy Haired Diva on video? Check out the YouTube page here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,