Skip to main content

K.I.S.S.I.N.G : From School Yard Chant to The Boudoir

...First comes love, then comes marriage then comes.... with a baby carriage! Do you remember singing that with friends when you were teasing someone about a crush during recess? I do. Any time I heard it I would giggle along with my friends and join in chanting it along with them.
I remember wanting desperately to kiss a boy in the sixth grade. His name was Matthew and I thought he was about the cutest thing I'd ever laid eyes on. He of course was oblivious to my existence and I never got a chance to even speak to him so forget about kissing him.
Once I started to blossom and left the awkward stage most tweens go through, I had no problems with my first kiss or the many kisses that came after that. Kissing was the thing when I was growing up. My Best Friend and I had a Kiss List. We write the name of all of the guys that we had kissed and periodically rate them against each other. As my kiss list grew to the double digits I became afraid as bouts of herpes and mono were present in my school and I didnt want to fall victim to a "kissing disease" so I became even more selective on who I kissed.
Looking back many years ago when kissing was the top tier of my level of physical interaction with the opposite sex I can't help but remark on how far removed I am from the thing that was once very important to me. Now, I am so removed from kissing I seldom even bother to do it. It doesn't mean that I don't like to, its just no longer important to me. Within my marriage I can say that we had intercourse more times than we have had ever kissed.
Once in conversation my sister in law remarked on my brothers stinky morning breath. I told her to wait until he brushed before she got her morning kiss from him. She laughed and said "we don't kiss anymore, I just hate his morning breath." At the time I was shocked. I thought that EVERYONE kissed. Keep in mind that I had a boyfriend and I was in HS so a large portion of anything we ever did began with kissing and sometimes ended with it too. I couldn't imagine a world without kissing. Kiss for me was the door that opened a world of many more doors.
With all that I felt back then, here I am today a rehabilitated kissing addict. Not only do I kiss less, I tend to stray away from it altogether. I live in a world of pecks. I will give a peck sometimes quick, sometimes sensual but never a full on French Kiss. Its humorus to me because a "French Kiss" was a kiss for me when I was younger.  When asked if I kissed someone I would respond "no, he gave me a peck." I would say the word 'peck' with disdain as if it were beneath me. I didn't count lip activity as kissing unless a tongue was involved. Here I am, an old fart referencing French Kissing as a totally different catagory of kissing. What a way to go out. What's happened to me?
I think that kissing has become more intimate for me. I don't share that level of intimacy with everyone I have intercourse with.
I also believe a few botched kissing attempts discouraged me. Tart breath, bad coordination, lip texture, dry mouth and excessive saliva can all make me head for the hills. Once that happens, nothing else will. However, I'm sure there are men I have slept with that were great in bed and good kissers but I won't ever know. I never bothered to kiss them first. There may have been brief moments in passion that I kissed them but it was brief and I can't even recall because it was just a part of the act we were involved in. No intimacy.
This makes me wonder if my withdrawal from kissing is yet another way to squelch even a smidgeon of vulnerability I may have with the person I am with. I can't answer this because I don't remember falling for every guy I kissed when I was a teenager. As a teen, sleeping with a guy would bring about emotion. Kissing was just the introduction of more. As an adult, sex is far more casual for me then kissing. I just read that last sentence over and boy does it sound bad.
Whats funny about the childhood song referenced earlier is that the love and marriage are all prefaced with KISSING. So by omitting kissing from my physical interaction am I standing the chance to lose the intimacy that leads to love and marriage? I think thats silly, but one never knows...
Thoughts?

Comments

  1. Saddened that your kissing cycle has reversed in the manner it has... kissing is amazing..often more intimate than sex, and it is for me at least often the precursor to sex...unless I just don't give a damn about a woman and find her slightly repulsive but good enough to bone...We are going to kiss...you are jumping the turnstyle ma... do betta and demand betta and you will get betta...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks D! I think you have a point and I will try my best to figure out the reasoning behind my whole "kissing issue" and then work on it. Right now I am dating someone who wont hear anything of it so I think I need to get it right quickly. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just read this again. I've not been healed from my kissing situation. I dont know if I even need healing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,