Skip to main content

My Black Experience: An Ongoing Reflection

First, I hope I don't ruffle any feathers with this one however I feel compelled to write this...



When I was a child I lived in a working class neighborhood that was predominantly black and Caribbean (sorry but there is a huge different in Caribbean upbringing in comparison with Black Southern, Black African or Black American upbringing so the need to differentiate felt necessary). I went to an elementary school that was filled with loads of black children, to the point that any fair skinned or white child was immediately identified and known by all because well, they weren't black. I exceled in my elementary school. I got the Assistant Principals award, I had poems published in my year book, I was in Talented and Gifted, I was in music, I went to the beach club with one of my teachers, pet sat for another, entered every statewide contest, aced my city wide tests... I was that kid. Hell, Sistah Souljah signed my year book and told me MY writing was good and she is the one who went on to publish a best seller!

Then I graduated. I got special placement into the junior high school my sister went to and I was psyched that I was going to be in the second top class of my grade. I was pimp walking all the way home. Then came the news: my mother informed me that I would not be going to the junior hs I thought I was going to. I was instead going to go across town to Bayside NY to go to Nathaniel Hawthorne... yeah, the dude wrote an awesome book (The Scarlet Letter) but other than that I knew that THAT school right there, was in an ASIAN and WHITE neighborhood. I didnt want to go. I cried. I cried on and off all summer. I didnt want to experience what was new. My mother sat me down one day and said: "I am preparing you for the real world." I was crushed. I was in the 7th class out of 10. Each class had exactly 5 black kids at the most. It was apparent to me that this wasnt a coincidence. They were not going to saturate the White/Asian population with blacks, and they had a strategy in place to keep that from happening.

I got a great education there, I moved on to Cardozo HS (also in Bayside) and became friends with Indians, Whites, and Asians of all cultures. I knew the difference between Mandarin and Cantonese, A Christian Indian and and a Muslim one, the beef between Chinese and Koreans, I can even say phrases in Greek, limited Indian dialects, Korean, Spanish, oh and I scored 98% on my French Proficiency so don't f*ck with me (sil vous plait).

After graduating, things happened, I had set backs but I have had numerous accomplishments. For a woman who didnt finish college, I gave a powerpoint presentation to a room full of white women who did and I was telling THEM how I thought things needed to be and they valued my insight. I worked alongside lawyers that worked for the FCC and generated enough income through surrogate recruitment to help maintain their abundant six figure salaries. I've already been informed that by this time next year, its likely I will be well on my way to team leader of a dept and I already chose thre first person I would like to see come aboard. Then, I look around and out of 12 people in my department, I am one of 2 Blacks and both of us are women. Sounds about right. Its almost the same ratio as Junior high.

When I think of my mothers words: "I'm preparing you for the real world"... I love her that much more because she had a wisdom I couldnt appreciate. The reality is that as a black person, or likely any colored person you are going to be the minority in more ways than one. The higher you climb toward success the less you will see others who look like you. You will be that 1 out of 5.

So when I was doing an interview with my boss and she said : "You know, I didnt know you were black until I met you. I couldnt tell over the phone."

I just took it in. I realized, that employers definitely take notice of that, if they aren't listening for it.

When I had the 2nd White person pick my brain about a Gold Winning Gymnast's hair... I realized that because I am probably the only black person they speak to, they are excited to pick my brain on the "black mind". I am an individual. Seldom do I run around prefacing anything I say with "as a Black woman"....its simply "in my opinion". The reality is that its likely you are PREFACED as a Black person no matter where you go or what you do and for that reason you have to be deemed "acceptable" by the whites to be able to mingle with them and make their money and gain their achievements. Whats bothersome is that even when you do it, there may be someone ignoring your accomplishment completely... to comment about your hair.

I've testified against bills before senators and was told the bill didnt pass and some believed the  decision was greatly affected by my testimony. I have consulted, I have done hair out of my house, I have waitressed, I have DJ'd I have stood on the side of the road and tried to sell people on supporting enviromental causes. I have been so poor I waited for my baby to finish her food and I would eat her left overs.

The one thing I have always been is ME. I'm Me before anything else but the reality is that I will be Black in the eyes of everyone that ISN'T Black before they bother to know that Im capable, smart, and I kick ass and take names. I used to hope that by Whites meeting me they would change their views toward blacks and it was silly to hope for such a thing. More often than not, I'm only labeled me as an exception.

When I'm used as the Black spokesperson and answer eager inquires on every "Black Thing" they couldnt ask anyone else, I get angry because I am not the go-to for all things Black. We are individuals! I am ME! So, I can't hope for anything but for God to give me the strength to press forward and raise my kids to recognize the Black Experience, because I doubt its going anywhere but right to the next generation of Black Americans.

Above all, if I can instill anything in my children I want them to know they can win... not by a hair but  WITH their hair.   -For Gabby.

Comments

  1. I'm no expert but in my humble opinion this is an excellent piece of literature.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,