Skip to main content

The Wiz

I decided to quit my job and go back to school. Unlike most people, my primary motivation for going back to school is not to make more money, but to finish what a started. I have embarked on numerous business ventures, books, friendships, relationships, diets (I can keep going, but I think you can get the point), only to fail because I didn't finish what I started. What's even more ridiculous is that legitimate interest has been taken with each of my "bright idea's" and I still never managed to bring my goals to the finish line.

The catalyst for most of my business plans was an extreme sense of discontentment in my life. As I would wait tables, or screen applicants, or break up for what seemed like the hundredth time, I would dream of a day of doing something I actually wanted to do as opposed to what landed in my lap. Granted that at some point, most of the things I have done were what I wanted at that particular moment, however not many of them were a part of my life's plan. So, I am a self proclaimed ADD Employee, Girlfriend, Dieter, Author... well, again you get the point. My attention is seldom held by anything for much longer than two years.

Sitting here at with just about three decades under my belt and somehow simultaneously in the form of a muffin top over my pants... I have decided that while the opportunity to finish first has long passed, finishing is still a viable option. I have jumped through several hoops in pursuit of "success". My definition of success was always measured by my credit score, finances, and job title. Now, its quite different. I feel that if I can be successful in maintaining a happy life than I have done more than most people. In fact, I would be making a vast improvement on the last ten or so years of my life!

When I had my first child, I had no clue what I was in for. I quickly learned that if I wanted to provide for her, I had to sacrifice many things. I did. My only desire was to make the income that I desired without the education that was required of me. In some ways, I did just that by working hard and getting promoted up the ranks over the years. However, there was always that quiet but ever-present dissatisfaction that I could not dismiss for the life of me.

And so, I got married, I moved into a condo, I switched jobs, I lost weight, I gained weight, I had another baby...there was no end to the changes that I made as I pursued this endless journey toward "success". I also picked up quite a few lessons along the way. Much like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, I gained courage, heart, and knowledge. What truly surprised even me in the end, is that despite all that I have done the key to what really made me happy was far more simple than I had thought: believing in myself.

I don't have a blueprint for how I am going to manage as I complete my degree. Nor do I have an answer for how I am going to finance the education I will be receiving. I do have payment for the first semester, but not much else. However, despite how willy nilly and irrational my decisions may seem my happiness is far more important to me now more than ever before. And so I plan to go back to school and finish my degree in Psychology, and the more I say it, the happier I become.

I feel as if I have lost myself in the pursuit of success. Going back to school is the last place where I can remember who I truly was. This decision has made me very happy, which is a feeling I haven't felt in quite some time but was once such a familiar place. Dorothy had it right, there is no place like home and happiness is where I plan to reside.

Comments

  1. I am sooooo proud of you. I decided to go back to school and it was the best choice cause I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sabbie. The only thing that makes me sad is how long it took for me to finally decide to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am proud of you and I encourage you to keep your head up. Yes, the road of life does have it's speed bumps and it's twists and turns but it's all about how you maneuver your way through. Just have faith that you CAN do it and YOU WILL do it. If you make a mistake (which we all do from time to time) learn and grow from it and stop beating yourself up or blaming the others. After all, this is your life and when the good Lord comes a knockin, how do you want to be remembered. So, I guess what I am trying to get at is have a goal in mind stick to it and always look how you will benefit at the end when you go through your trials and tribulations (believe me you WILL have those times) Just keep talking to God and for some strange reason he always have some way of providing what you need.
    I am glad you have something to look forward to and Best of Luck! Future Dr. Estwick-Gibson :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tonie! True words of wisdom from the wise teacher! I couldn't agree more about your point about assigning blame. I used to beat myself up and I had even blamed others for quite some time. Later I realized that the time I spent assigning blame, I could have long moved on and corrected the mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing is greater than figuring out that you deserve more and can make yourself a better person. At the end of the day - I want to die thinking that I am a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny you say that Bourgie... I just told someone today that if I died tomorrow I want to die a student because that's what I came here (MD) for in the first place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,