Skip to main content

Why Did I Get Married Too? *REVIEW*

When one of my closest girlfriends asked me if I wanted to rent Tyler Perry's 'Why Did I Get Married, Too' and watch it with her, I was totally agreeable to the idea. After all, I have enjoyed many Tyler Perry movies and I thought that WDIGMT would be no different. I do admit that I had grown tired of the Madea series however, I still found his other movies (A Family That Prays, Why Did I Get Married) thought provoking and inspiring so I was more than willing to take a gander.
So, I tucked the kiddies into bed and sat back on my couch with a blanket and pressed the order button on my remote control. Seconds later, I as watching WDIGMT.
The movie starts off with comedic tone, but quickly becomes overbearing and unrealistic. I shift a bit under my blanket, holding out hope for more substance.
Eventually all of the couples from the previous movie reunite and begin their tradition of enjoying a weekend with their spouses and friends to reflect on the titles question; "Why Did I Get Married".
Before I could prepare for it, the movie took a whirlwind of a turn of events. After a random but lovely cameo appearance of Cicely Tyson, much of the movie turned to gobbley-gook soon after. A collected Janet Jackson soon turned into a distraught and manic version of the former. A certain paranoid and insecure spouse crept through her own home with a knife, "thought better of it" and swapped the more primitive weapon for a shiny firearm. The buffoonery doesn't stop here. A homosexual man in booty shorts popping out of a birthday cake, a fatal car accident, explosive temper tantrums, emotional affairs,... the numerous twists and turns of the plot left me dazed and confused.
Among the most absurd moments was Janet Jackson urging all of the other couples to just love one another while her husband lay dying. I found it interesting that all of the couples dismissed their grief immediatly to obey her plea for reconciliation. The result was hugs, kisses and countless I love you's. Lots of Velvetta.
My annoyance reached an all time high at the films ending. The conclusion to this hodge podge mess of a story was one dysfunctional spouse finding delight in the possibility of loving again. The irony in this is hard to ignore as I hated this particular character by the end of the film as I had no way to identify with their situation and I felt that they were being rewarded with an opportunity that they weren't ready for, nor did they deserver.
As for me, the possibilty of enduring another Tyler Perry film in the near future is far from hopeful. Its unlikely.
Why Did I Get Married, Too did not make me ponder my own matrimony but instead caused me to ask myself: Why Did I Watch This Movie?

Comments

  1. Aww sheesh...I didn't get to see this yet! I still want to, though, to assess for myself...

    And I need your email address, noticed you deactivated your FB, and I want to keep in touch. =oD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to find you on FB. I miss our exchanges.

      Delete
  2. I posted it in the comment section of one of your blog posts but just in case...

    Thinkinky2009atgmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,