Skip to main content

Juice Fast: Day 3

Well I started this on Sunday and today is Tuesday. Time doesn't allow for me to post daily so I am sorry that I have already failed you with Sundays conclusion and Monday's post.

So far, I am not tempted to eat food for the most part. I drink plenty of water (about 94 ounces per day minimum...usually about 128oz.) and I drink 4 juices or smoothies per day depending on the ingredients and my level of hunger.

For example, when I am doing a vegetable juice, I use my juicer (Jack LaLane). So I will pack in the Kale and cucumber and carrots etc and toss in an apple and some lemon for flavor. When I juice veggies its predominantly veggie. I only add a half of lemon ( I find the taste overbearing) to cut the bitterness of the veggies. I add an apple to sweeten up the lemon.

When I am juicing berries or sometimes oranges, tomatoes or avocado I put it in my Magic Bullet blender. I like that its enough to make one portion so I don't have to worry about storage and I like my juice fresh. 
There are occasions when I use both which can be a pain however bananas cant be juiced but carrots have to be so if I am creating a concoction that requires foods of totally different consistencies, I have to use both. I try not to do that often.

I am finding freedom in my juicing. I make what I want and try not to be bound by all of the rules. I am a juicing renegade of sorts. The only thing I pay attention to is how many fruits and veggies I take in each day. I have a rule that I have to have 4 juices per day however, I don't want my meals to be off balance. I don't want to have a ton of fruits and neglect my body of the vegetables. So my way of combating this dilemma is to just use both each time I juice so that I am getting at least a 50/50 ratio. I will say that at least once a day I do an extremely heavy veggie juice so that I am offsetting the sugars in the fruits.

I put chia seeds in at least two juices per day. I have flax seeds that I still haven't touched.

Issues:
*My greatest issue so far with juicing is cleaning up the juicer. This morning, I just took it apart and rinsed it in really hot water since I had to shuffle the kids to school and get to work on time. I didn't have time to wash it all up.
*I also don't enjoy the preparation in the morning. I plan to cut my veggies and fruit the night before and store them in huge zip lock bags and label them. this way I will have all of the ingredients at my finger tips and all I will need to do is juice them.
*I am not a fan of the yield. I understand that the amount of juice you get largely depends on the juicer however I feel that no matter what type of juicer you have, you are going to lose a lot of juice in the pulp. When you are juicing you have to purchase large quantities of fruits and veggies and its hard to get 16 ounces out of one recipe. Adding water is a remedy however, I am taking in enough of that. My suggestion is to stock up on cucumbers. They wont affect the taste of whatever you are making very much but serve as a filler to bulk up the drink.
* I am not a fan of the people who think I am extreme. I am trying to cleanse my body, look at food differently and discipline myself. I am learning to enjoy the flavor of food without the extras, the oils, the cheese, the salt, the pepper. So juicing is allowing that.

What I am loving about juicing:

* I am learning about me. I am learning what is pleasing to my palate. I have learned that I will never like celery whether is is in a cup or next to buffalo wings
*I am learning that I love beets and I am an anemic woman who needs all of the iron she can get. Aside from meat, I am happy to know I found a new way to get it. Figuring out a natural way to improve my health instead of popping a vitamin and fearing getting... "backed up" is a great thing. So I love that I am learning about the health benefits of food. I am truly learning to eat to live instead live to eat.
*I love when people want to know more about juicing and it encourages them to give it a go.
*I love that I never knew that I don't NEED to chew something in order to consume it.


Some changes: I have decided that I will incorporate nuts into my juicing to get some protein in my system. I want to go back to the gym again after taking a week off and I don't want my muscle mass diminishing. So I got some sunflower seeds to start and plan to blend them with banana and soy milk. YUMMY.

So ends my juicing update for now.

So far? Totally worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,