Skip to main content

Juice Fast: Day 4



I concluded Day 3 with my sunflower seed, banana, cinnamon, water and almond milk smoothie.
It was absolutely delicious and has now become a favorite for me.

According to some information I found on the web, these are the benefits of sunflower seeds:
  • They  control cell damage, thus playing a role in preventing cancer. This is because sunflower seeds are a good source of selenium, which is a proven enemy of cancer.
  • They contain bone-healthy minerals. Besides calcium, your bones need magnesium and copper to stay strong. Sunflower seeds have both these minerals. As a bonus, they also contain Vitamin E, which helps ease arthritic pain.
  • They keep you calm. Yes! The magnesium in sunflower seeds is reputed for soothing the nerves, thus easing away stress, migraines and helping you relax.
  • They bring a glow to your skin. The star in this role: Vitamin E again, which combats UV rays and keeps skin youthful.
  • They ease every condition that’s inflammatory in nature, such as joint pain, gastric ulcers, skin eruptions, asthma and such. That’s because sunflower seeds are loaded with antioxidants.
  • Just ¼ cup of sunflower seeds a day can keep heart troubles away. These small seeds disallow ‘bad’ cholesterol from sticking to the walls of your arteries, thus preventing heart attacks.

Banana:

Possible health benefits of bananas

Blood pressure: Maintaining a low sodium intake is essential to lowering blood pressure, however increasing potassium intake may be just as important because of its vasodilation effects. According to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, fewer than 2% of US adults meet the daily 4700 mg recommendation.3
Also of note, a high potassium intake is associated with a 20% decreased risk of dying from all causes.3
Asthma: A study conducted by the Imperial College of London found that children who ate just one banana per day had a 34% less chance of developing asthma.
Cancer: Consuming bananas, oranges and orange juice in the first two years of life may reduce the risk of developing childhood leukemia. As a good source of vitamin C, bananas can help combat the formation of free radicals known to cause cancer. High fiber intakes from fruits and vegetables like bananas are associated with a lowered risk of colorectal cancer.
Heart health: The fiber, potassium, vitamin C and B6 content in bananas all support heart health. An increase in potassium intake along with a decrease in sodium intake is the most important dietary change that a person can make to reduce their risk of cardiovascular disease, according to Mark Houston, MD, MS, an associate clinical professor of medicine at Vanderbilt Medical School and director of the Hypertension Institute at St Thomas Hospital in Tennessee.3
In one study, those who consumed 4069 mg of potassium per day had a 49% lower risk of death from ischemic heart disease compared with those who consumed less potassium (about 1000 mg per day).3
High potassium intakes are also associated with a reduced risk of stroke, protection against loss of muscle mass, preservation of bone mineral density and reduction in the formation of kidney stones.3
Diabetes: Studies have shown that type 1 diabetics who consume high-fiber diets have lower blood glucose levels and type 2 diabetics may have improved blood sugar, lipids and insulin levels. One medium banana provides about 3 grams of fiber.
The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends 21-25 g/day for women and 30-38 g/day for men.
Treating diarrhea: Bland foods such as apple sauce and bananas are recommended for diarrhea treatment. Electrolytes like potassium are lost in large quantities during bouts of diarrhea and may make those affected feel weak. Bananas can help to promote regularity and replenish potassium stores.
Preserving memory and boosting mood: Bananas also contain tryptophan, an amino acid that studies suggest plays a role in preserving memory and boosting your mood.

Almond Milk:

According to http://www.3fatchicks.com/6-health-benefits-of-almond-milk the benefits of almond milk range from heart health, to bone health.

Water:

Need I say more?


4 Ingredients… plenty of benefits. I know that some may say, “well the amount of sunflower seeds and bananas that I would have to eat to see the benefits of them is insane and unrealistic.” I am not arguing with this. However if you are doing a juice cleanse, guess what your body is getting? 100% raw, natural, nutrients. There is no tampering, no preservatives…just the good stuff! AND its being juiced so your body is able to just absorb it all… hardly any break down…its wonderful!

Can I juice for the rest of my life? YES, I can. I can juice forever. I wont juice FAST forever, but I do plan to juice for life. I think that people are missing out on the medicinal properties of food. Processed food brings nothing to the table for your health. Food that is heated to death isnt going to bring anything to your health. Fruit juice you find in a bottle in a store is NOT JUICE. Its syrup and water and preservatives. I am beginning to wonder why anyone would have anything in their fridge or cabinet that can be opened on one day and not spoil for 2 years. Unless it’s a bag of beans, or a bottled water I don’t know what can stay edible for that long.

I distinctly remember when fast food restaurants created larger portions of everything. I remember when they made the option to pay a few cents more and create a meal that had at least 30% more food. That’s more oil, fat and risk for disease and sickness. Thankfully, the consumers hasty death can cost no more than 49 cents a pop.

Am I self-righteous? NO! I don’t think that I have had my last buffalo wing or my last slice of pizza. I am a NY native, I guarantee you that I haven’t had my last slice of pizza. However, pizza has to be the exception in my life now and not the norm. I heard someone say that we spend our youth killing ourselves and spend our adulthood trying to live.

Gone are the days of me feeling invincible. The limitations of my body were realized when I had youngest daughter and my body had no memory of what it had been. I used to be able to “bounce back” and instead I had a huge stomach my kids conveniently used to bounce on. I was a human jungle gym. I am not getting any younger, its time to take life seriously, if I plan to have one for decades to come.

I remember sitting in the bar, and always turning to a friend or even a stranger and saying : whats in your glass?
Well today I have the same question. I am sipping on spinach and grapefruit.  So…whats in your glass?

Keeping it juicy,

Abby


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,