Skip to main content

The Heart's Compass

Who do you call on when you need help coming to a decision?
Many of us call our best friend, a parent, or seek spiritual revelation. Some of us find ourselves on the couch of a high priced therapist hoping for direction instead of reflection. I'm writing this blog to tell you that you don't need to look to anyone else for your answers. The answers are within you.
Each of us are equipped with internal wisdom. We have the gift to discern our life's direction.
This isn't to forsake the God you serve, this is to say if you in fact believe in the God you serve, you should believe your God dwells inside of you and therefore you can seek answers from within. Don't feel guilty about it.
Following your heart takes training however, I'm a firm believer that your heart doesn't lead you wrong. The conflict of the mind and heart is what steers people in the wrong direction. When your heart says "yes" and your mind says "maybe" the signals cross and then decisions that are made are less genuine and influenced by two very separate things. The heart and mind seldom correspond.
So why do we make bad decisions with our hearts?
I believe that my poor decisions weren't made with my heart at all. I believe my poor decisions were made with my ego. We are human beings and therefore very complex. We have many different parts. Our make up goes far beyond heart, and mind. This gives a whole new meaning to being "body conscious". People typically associate the term to mean there is a concern with the physical image of the body however, to truly be in tune with as much of yourself as possible is the achievement of body consciousness that many fail to strive toward but should consider.
The ego causes us to make decisions that we believe will serve us happiness. It's very misleading. When you find yourself in the most torrid love affair with the wrong person, it's because your ego led you to the decision to be with that person believing that happiness would be achieved if you were with them. So you opted to embark upon a relationship that you shouldn't have and blamed your heart as if your heart led you to the decision your ego did. I think that this is why so many people say something "was meant to be" and then feel foolish when it fails miserably. The ego will lead you to believe something is meant to be, when it is only meant to make you feel validated. Most bad decisions at some point satiated the ego.
These days, I allow my heart to guide me through my toughest decisions. So far, I feel like I have more direction than I did when I was allowing my mind to do all of the work. I used to believe the heart was an idiot in matters of love so I let my mind do all of the decision making. This took the emotion out of all of my relationships as I was analytical instead of invested. Now I do my best to let my heart lead me and attempt to remain conscious of my mind and ego. I still have my own questions. I am still learning, but it's easier to journey through life when my heart is my compass.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,