Skip to main content

The Rise of Christian Film : How Does It Measure Up?


 I'm a movie buff. Don't believe me? Check out my other blog on Movie Pilot. I think I fell in love with film back in Queens New York when I went to see Little Shop of Horrors with my father. Witnessing fantastic puppetry, acting, and music all in one sitting delightfully overwhelmed my senses.
Film has come leaps and bounds since then and now a new genre of film is hitting mainstream: Christian/Spiritual Film. While there are plenty of Christian actors like Megan Good and Tyler Perry, there are some like Kirk Cameron who will only perform in films that are directed specifically toward the Christian demographic. His choice certainly doesn't discount the faith of other Christian actors however, it does make his commitment to Christ quite clear.
Last year, I had the pleasure of watching Fireproof. It told the story of a marriage that was redeemed through faith and of course God. The movie had moments that I could relate to with ease, most of them sadly being the lowest points of the depicted marriage. As many of you may know, my marriage never found redemption and eventually came to and end. So the low points were the only points I could identify with and the high points were interesting because I know nothing about those. The message was clear and I enjoyed the film so much that I decided to purchase it sometime later.
Later, God's Not Dead came out. I will say that this film had great potential. Some of it was great however, some of it fell flat for me. First, I am not a fan of Kevin Sorbo due to racist remarks he has made in the past (I get that Christianity is about forgiveness and the irony of my statement doesn't escape me).  Second, I felt that Kevin Sorbo's character while understandable in his renouncing religion realized a very unrealistic outcome at the end of the film. I get what was trying to be done, but I didn't find it to be realistic. That's often the problem with Christian film, there are unrealistic outcomes but they are validated with the promise that a supernatural God can make the unlikely...possible! I suppose this is where faith comes in and depending on the viewer the faith factor may be a problem. For the non-believer, these films may seem far fetched and heavy laden with Velveeta.
Recently I had a sibling Saturday night with my sister. We decided to view War Room, another Christian film that was leading in the box office for it's opening weekend. War Room tells the story of another couple who are experiencing marital woes while raising their young (and gorgeous) daughter. Mentored by one of her real estate clients, the protagonist embarks upon reclaiming her marriage, household, and relationship with her daughter utilizing the power of prayer.
This film had it's fair share of "unbelievable". For the sake of spoilers, I won't elaborate on that. What I will say is "drop that gun in Jesus' name'. You're welcome.
All improbability aside, the film was a good one. I enjoyed the wisdom, humor, and message that War Room imparted and left the film feeling like I had something to talk about which for me is a sign of decent film.
When it comes to Christian film, at the end of the day it's another genre attempting to appeal to a demographic that can appreciate it. I wonder how critics will receive such films as there are some aspects of it that in my opinion require religious conviction to appreciate. However, I'm not sure if that's fair. Science fiction is built on little fact and loads of ideas that we are encouraged to believe can happen, even if we know it can. *cough* Jurassic Park series* cough*
So we can't dismiss an idea as far fetched just because it involves religious beliefs. If that were the case, we would never have fallen in love with the Terminator, Matrix, or heck...any movie! The purpose of film is to take viewers to a different place with the only limit being the imagination. Therefore, I applaud directors who are pushing the limits of Christian films. I'd grown tired of the slap stick Tyler Perry films. A new point of view is always welcome, and a positive message is even better.
Will Christian films take off in 2016? Well, about that faith factor again...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,