Skip to main content

30 Days Of Natural : My Personal Hair Challenge

Funny that I created this blog years ago in effort to draw positive attention to what so many others were scorning at the time; natural hair. I used to be a natural hair stylist and I met so many women who were either afraid to "go natural" or were struggling to stay natural. Seldom did I meet someone who was content and simply needed styling services.
I won't say that learning navigate an entirely new hair texture doesn't come with it's fair share of challenges. I will say that so many of us don't want to deal with our hair once it's restored to its original texture.
I have to admit that I have been one of the women that I used to tsk at years ago. I always have in hair extensions by way of weave, braids or crocheted something. I say that I am doing a protective style which is sometimes true but most times I am just trying not to do my hair at all. I don't want to bother to manipulate my hair into elaborate twist outs and take time to do intricate braids. Here's the thing: why can't I just wear my hair as is? Why do I have to do a wash and go every morning? Why do I feel the need to have twist outs and faux hawks? Why can't I just wear my hair out like most other women do (and by other women, I mean White ones). White women wear their hair out or in a ponytail almost every day. Seldom do they have something interested going on with their hair. I understand that braids are a part of my culture however that doesn't mean that I have to do it all the time. I can wear my hair out. I can go to the investment firm I work in with a dope puffy fro WITH NO HEADBAND and no gel and just keep it moving along.
I remember chatting with a White woman and she had very frizzy hair. I asked what products she used and she said "I'm over it. I have frizzy hair. It's clean, it's just frizzy." At the time I felt badly for her because she hadn't learn to "tame" her hair. Now I fell badly for my ignorant arse thinking she had to tame it. I have to get better at accepting what is before me. It's okay to dress something up now and again but I'm interesting in accepting who I am before the lip gloss, stilettos, and edge tamer.
I used to rock an afro with pride but I had colored bands to go around my head and I was always accessorizing it. The older I get the less I care about any of that. I have chronic headaches and headbands are not going to work for me anymore. They also eat the edges of my hair.
Now I get single strand knots from my hair coiling onto itself and I get tempted to do yet another protective style that protects nothing because my edges suffer from those too.
Realizing all of this, I have decided to wear my hair in its natural state for 30 days. I am not putting any extensions in my hair. I am not wearing a wig, crochet braids, weave or braided extensions. I'm going to wear my hair with oil and water. That's it. No gels, foams, or sprays. It's going to be me, Shea Butter and Black Castor Oil and H20. I'm going to learn how to work with MY hair without the overpriced products and "protective style" alibi. I'm going to be me for 30 days strong.
So when I walk into the office in my super corporate attire with a afro the size of Africa I am going to enjoy the stares and the comments and the questions because it will be an opportunity for education. I was a woman that didn't accept myself as is. There are far too many women who don't accept themselves as is. We squeeze into girdles, we contour away our perceived flaws, we wear heels slim our ankles, we wear gobs of gel or extensions so not to "deal" with what lies beneath it all. That's a woman thing, not a race thing. We are who we are. We carry the traits of our ancestors and we all should embrace it and be proud. If you want to change it up, let it be a preference not a necessity. I'm a Black woman, I have an afro. The end. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,