Skip to main content

Silencing The Pain: My Battle With Depression (Part III)

Photo by Victoria Palacios on Unsplash
I'd finally reached a point where I was able to careen down the dangerous road that is depression without steering toward death and hoping for "the best". I just want to clean up my life and make myself a normal happy person. It was hard learning where to start.
I learned my triggers. That means I figured out what made me feel depressed. I realized that I had numerous triggers, some that I had no control over and being the control freak that I am, it only aggravated my anxiety once I figured it all out.
Steering clear of my triggers became an obsession and I took an unfair and unrealistic approach toward friendships, relationships, job opportunities and even food. I would often become very rigid all for the sake of preservation of my sanity but my unwavering approach only isolated me. It was a complete mess and I was the orchestrator of it. These periods of extreme discipline would be followed by periods of extreme carelessness. I would toss caution to the wind and do the opposite of everything I would do when exercising self-control. Bottom line? I would undo everything I had just done.
If I were on a strict diet, I would abandon it completely and eat every comfort food that came to mind. If I saved a significant sum of cash for a rainy day I would go to the shoe outlet and purchase all sorts of shoes in vivid colors and various styles just because I liked them. It was always one extreme to the next. Finding stability which I'm still trying to determine if that equates to normalcy ( I don't think I will ever truly know what the heck 'normal' is) was near impossible.
Eventually, I broke out into a sweat at work and thought I was going to pass out. This was going on for about two weeks and I began to suspect that my thyroid levels were out of whack. I was sweating profusely one minute, then hot as Hades the following minute. Fatigue was having it's way with me and no amount of sleep if I even managed sleep was enough. I went to the doctor and just began to cry. I told her I think my thyroid levels needed to be checked and my medicine dose needed to be adjusted. She checked my levels and told me that my thyroid levels were close to perfect and asked a few questions. Then she made her determination that I had depression and anxiety.
"Has anyone ever told you that you might be suffering from depression?" she asked.
"Jesus Christ..." I muttered under my breath. Too many people have asked me or flat out told me that over the past 12 years or more. I don't keep count. I was in misery. I thought I had beat depression. I didn't try to off myself in darn near two decades at this point and here I was sitting across from my physician hearing about a ghost. I couldn't shake this thing to save my life, literally!
So she put me on anti-depressants. I had already tried a few in the past and decided to grab the bull by the horns and speak to her like every other depressed person who knows the ropes. Us depressed people don't play around when it comes to meds. I recited all the drugs I have tried, what I liked and didn't and told her what I wanted to supplement what I was willing to try with. She nodded and had a knowing smirk on her face. This must not have been her first rodeo with the opinionated majorly depressed patient. I didn't care. Call in my script and get me medicated. I have kids to feed.
Ah, kids.
I have two of them. They motivate me to do so many things but at the same time caring for them often delays my opportunity to care for myself. Wearing the mask at work and at home has become among the most difficult things to manage as a person managing depression. Seldom do I have an opportunity to yield to my own feelings. I can't sleep in. I have to work. I can't cry at home, it would frighten the kids. I can't keep calling friends, they get tired of Captain Doom and Gloom texting and calling. It's very isolating to be so miserable. No one wants to be around that, and sadly "that" is harnessed to you like a cumbersome shell on a measly little snail. I just woefully meander along with it, leaving a trail of unfortunate evidence that I, in fact, was "here".
A lot of people will tell you that I'm a jovial type. They wouldn't be lying. I make jokes. I'm very silly. However, all aspects of my personality coexist with this illness, disability, bull$h*T, whatever you want to call it. I can be flirty, funny, serious, calculated, passionate, and more. I just happen to be depressed too. There are moments of reprieve when I feel good. I know it's there but it's not dictating very much in my life. Then there are the other times when every single thing I do from washing my hair to answering questions is a conscious effort. Every action is labored, a conscious effort, and deliberate.
Another issue is the judgment or at least the perception (okay, paranoia?) that everyone is judging you.
A depressed person can raise children, maintain a career, etc. It just takes a lot more self-awareness, patience, and honesty. My greatest fear? That my kids get plagued with this crap. I don't want them to have to go through this.
I had to tell my kids that I manage depression. I had to explain that it makes Mommy a little "funky" sometimes but I will always work to get well. They understand but it makes them nervous. They don't want anything to happen to me. I don't want anything to happen to me either, because if anything did, then it would affect them. I can't afford to be sick.  ...but I am.

Part IV, and the conclusion of this series will roll out sometime this weekend. I'm thinking Sunday...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,