Skip to main content

You Just Don't Know: Child Rearing

I'm a part of an email string; a forum of sorts that allows myself and several friends to interact and share opinions on topics ranging from sexual preferences to family values. Typically our discussions are light hearted and comedic however, there are times that they become intense and revealing.
Yesterdays topic, on spanking a child that isn't your own yielded a great response surprisingly from all participants. Of course we were unable to focus on the initial topic and it ended up going far left to issues that in my opinom had nothing to do with the original question posed.
That being said I can say that the stance on the topic was clearly divided between the have and the have-nots with the exception of about two people. Participants with children were opposed to others spanking their children and those without while they may have reconsidered their stance later on were initially for it. As the discussion went further myself and another parent were more and more appalled by the responses we were reading. Looking back at that email I have come to two conclusions:
Hhaving children does not mean that you are the end all be all for all things parental, but it does mean you are the end all be allfor YOUR children and other than the co-parent of those children, outside opinions are well... irrelevant. However, just because someone doesn't have child doesn't mean they have no idea as to how a child should be raised (morally at least). I'll admit that my children have an older cousin who is excellent with them and she hasn't had a child yet and she's 30 years old. My sisters closest friend is without children and I would trust her with my own based on how well she does with my sisters. This goes beyond babysitting for a few hours. It would mean that even if she put one of my girls in a corner for a time out I would trust her judgment. I had a heavy hand in the rearing of my nephew for the first 3 years of his life but once I had my own daughter, I was no longer assisting his parents in his upbringing. I had to focus on my own which brings me to my next point. Point #2:
While you may have a handle on what it takes to raise kids you will never truly know all it takes until you actually raise one. Your ideas are based on imagination word of mouth and perhaps reflection of your own parents experiences raising you. Yes, that's an idea, but it's not an experience. I know people without who do a great job with children (my own included) however at the end of the day they send my kids back because they are my kids and they had a few hours, maybe even a week of a notion and then they send them back with me to continue my experience. I often smirk when I hear a person lament over a child they once cared for in a past relationship or a babysitting job etc. I almost always hear "he or she was like my own kid." as a parent, there is no "like" they are my kids. What's my bottom line here?
Being a parent doesn't mean that you should hold yourself exempt from the opinions if those who are not parents. Oh and remarking on someones parental skills when you have yet to put your own to test, is a bit pompous.
In both regards take the time to nibble on a sliver of humble pie before saying words that can't be retracted. I have actually decided to take my own advice on this. Anyone have some milk?
- still chewing and thinkingkinky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,