Skip to main content

Confessions of A Clueless Dater: When Dating Gets Desperate

I'm not going to give any drawn out introduction to the subject I want to address. There comes a time when dating just becomes desperate. You can't casually disclose that you are "just seeing what's out there" when you are doing any of the following things:

Membership Whoredom: Yeah, I said it. If you are or have been a member of every dating site out there to the point that you know the secrets to getting specials, recognize profiles from the "other" dating sites, and copy and paste your profiles and message replies, you are a membership whore (or a site slut if you prefer alliteration). If you don't know it, allow me to tell you: YOU HAVE REACHED THE POINT OF ADDICTION. You're on just about every site both mainstream and obscure. Your phone chimes with more notifications than drug dealer on a city block and your profile has been seen by thousands. If this is you, you have gone too far. You are not merely testing the waters, you are under the water and by this time your interaction with people is likely contrived and clipped because you want to get to the good part which is a meeting or the point of confidence where you feel like you have found "true love".
Another sign that you have just gone too far and have reached the point of desperation is if you spend time with someone you aren't even interested in. This means that you are so fatigued with finding the person you want that you choose to be with a person you know you don't want. I like to call this one
Surrogate Soulmating. When you find someone that is there just to fill a blank space in your life, you are settling my friend. Often, in frustration we opt to just put an end to what upsets us. This means that if being single is the root of the issue, you stop focusing on finding a person you want to spend your life with and instead focus on resolving the root of the issue which is being single. So you find someone that you really wouldn't want to be with just for the sake of being with someone. It feels good at first. You think you accomplished something until the emptiness finds its way back to you and you feel even more lonely than you did before...while the unwanted significant other is sitting right there in your life! Who solicits this type of madness? Desperate people, that's who. It's better to wait it out than to employ band aid solutions. Some people manifest their dating desperation in yet another way. They like to cling. Clingers latch onto the idea that a person that has no interest in them is "the one". The only obstacle? Making this oblivious soulmate realize that they are meant to be with you. Yup, it's as crazy as it sounds. Clingers will call a person they went on a date with one time and decide to ride that single interaction until the wheels fall off. Once the wheels fall off, they will then drag that
interaction until it's all worn out. After its all worn out, they put the splinter in their pocket. Clingers are the worst because the object of the clingers obsession, I mean affection (no I don't) is well aware that the clinger is desperate. It never ends well for the clinger. Restraining orders, harsh words, and call block only come of clinger behavior. Don't be this desperate. Just let it go. It was just a date, kiss, or one night stand. Leave it be. You aren't in love and I can guarantee that the person you think you are in love with isn't in love with you either. Give it up and get a life (preferably one that doesn't involve creeping people out).
Serial Soulmate: In this case, everyone you meet is the one. EVERYONE. You give everyone a try because in your mind you are always one step away from the rest of your life with someone else. So you always are in love, the new person is always perfect and you go from zero to one hundred in every relationship. Everyone meets your kids. Everyone meets your parents, everyone is the one you plan to marry. Oh, and everyone fails within six months to a year. Please admit your habit. You can't have this amazing connection with each person you meet. You can force people to be what you want them to be which is likely what you are doing. Get your life together. Love yourself. Quit putting your friends and family though the motion of meeting every person you meet and decide to fall in love with for the hell of it. Fashion yourself in a suit of confidence instead of those damned rose colored glasses you keep donning. I'm just saying...

How do I know about this? I've been a victim of it, and sometimes... I was the culprit. Stay Kinky folks.

-Nappy Haired Diva

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,