Skip to main content

Twitter: Serving a Purpose, or Popularity Contest?

Twitter: Serving a Purpose or Popularity Contest?
When I began to aggressively pursue digital marketing strategies, I decided to enter the world of Twitter. Marketing (especially digital marketing) is quite similar to IT in the way that it's ever-changing. You are only as good as the latest strategy. If you were a marketing guru on Myspace but haven't a clue about Facebook then dude.. you're behind the times. Myspace marketing is quite niche whereas Facebook is more mainstream. Linkedin has also come leaps and bounds when it comes to the implementation of market-friendly strategies. Then, there's twitter:
Twitter is a social media platform that allows you to type short messages in 140 or so characters or less. Since we now live in Generation teXt, instant gratification is a prerequisite for interaction in just about any form. So getting to the bottom of a message in 140 characters is appealing to many. Twitter also allows photos and clickable links and/or "cards" so that you can encourage others to click your content which will drive traffic right to where you want them to ultimately go.
Now that we have that covered, let's get to the meet of this post (instant gratification, remember?).
On Twitter there seem to be two things that people pay attention to: followers, and content. Whenever someone "follows" you, your inner narcissist does a shimmy. It's like Twitter Validation. Someone wants to "follow" you. Social media platforms totally know what they are doing with these terminologies. There is a psychology behind it. When someone "follows" you, you get to be the leader. The more followers you have, the more you feel like a leader. But maintaining followers isn't easy. You either have to be a celebrity, a content guru, or a mutual follower. Let me explain the last quality, mutual follower. Whenever someone follows you, it's twitter etiquette to follow them in return. If you don't, it's highly probable that that person will stop following you. So in order to be a leader, ironically you must follow.
If you have a significant number of followers there are some that will follow you without expecting to be followed because you are clearly cooler than they are and they know they aren't worthy of your reciprocated follow. Sounds dumb? It is. This is social media. It's no different on Facebook where people want to be YOUR friend and if you say something they get to "like" it. Who doesn't want to have plenty of friends and be liked by many? Most people do.
Whenever I create a marketing campaign on Twitter or Facebook I need to do a few things:

  • Post like a lunatic: Social Media is made up of narcissists, businesses, and your average Joe. Because it's free for so many people (with the exception of the businesses who are aggressively marketing), it's inundated  with all types of information in the form of "posts". So in order to gain visibility, you have to post frequently. 
  • Find content people give a crap about: I can't break this down much further. If you can't figure out what your people want to read, you won't keep their attention...that's if you ever manage to get it. 
  • Follow Back: When it comes to Twitter, thou shalt follow. If you are a small fry, you have to play the game and follow people that follow you. I even retweet content that I like and give a shout out to followers now and again. Sometimes a person won't acknowledge your shout out on a personal level but just retweet it to show people "hey, people like me." It's all very Junior High, but this is the world today. 
I sometimes become frustrated with the whole damned thing because I feel like I am playing a numbers game with the wrong thing. Tracking how many followers I have and have lost versus tracking how many clicks the tweet got is absurd. I still track how many retweets, faves, and impressions I get on my Twitter posts, but amidst that very important info, I have to track who follows me because it helps my other metrics along. 

At the end of the day,despite the belief that we are all having fun most times social media is no more than a numbers game that everyone is playing but no one wants to admit. The more followers, the more friends, the likes, the more favorites. the more effective. The truth is a relentless b*tch, isn't it? Maybe I should follow her. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sign Of The Times: Case of The Serial Texter

I was lying in bed when I heard the familiar chime of an incoming text. Opening one eye, I opened the message to see two letters: GM. Still, in the stupor that slumber often puts you in, I scanned my brain to register the meaning...ah yes...Good Morning. I clumsily keyed in "Hey" and hit the send button. I kept my face deep in my pillow listening for another chime. Nothing. I switched my phone into silent mode and caught another hour of sleep before waking up again. This is a typical day in the life of a serial texter. I text a lot. I text because it's free (on my cell plan). I text because it's convenient. I text because it's a great way to have a conversation without actually having a conversation. But what happens when you actually WANT to speak to the other person with whom you are texting? How do you break the pattern? After months of texting, a phone call may prove to be awkward and break the momentum you built through texting! This has happened

A Love Story

Sometimes he looked at me the way I had always wanted to be looked at. His eyes would fill with a wonder as if I was a beautiful creature he never knew existed. I would often pretend I didn't notice, because I liked to be admired a bit longer. I knew he would break his gaze if I acknowledged it. So I sat and made my best effort to remain natural, refusing to ruin the moment with unnecessary interruption. Other times, I would intentionally turn toward him. I would return his gaze and admire every curve of his face. I would notice the perceived flaws and want to kiss them all. My lips would travel across the map of his face, landing on every location of interest. He would laugh, and distract my lips from their unplanned journey by planting his against my own- keeping them in the destination he chose. I was alway obedient to what he wanted. Knowing that he wanted me was enough and so I did as he directed and I enjoyed heeding his unsaid instructions. I knew when he didn't wa

The Real Thing *Relationships/Dating*

I love Marvin Gaye. I love how he croons along with Tammi Terrell about having the "Real Thing". If you have followed my blog over the years, you have seen me get separated, divorced, and hit the dating scene. Its been a long road. There was a time that I was dating just to get my feet wet. I just wanted to get into the habit of conversing and entertaining men in a way that I hadn't due to the confines of marriage. I just wanted to be single again. Eventually I came to want more. I wanted to have something...real. I am not a traditional woman. If I didn't have children I would likely never be married and I would be totally fine with living in a separate home from my significant other and connecting when we wanted to connect and maintaining space all other times. However, I have children...and my lifestyle preferences are not a priority. I am more interested in setting an example and foundation for my girls. So here I am, dating with a purpose. I have been on POF,